Who is Sugar Love?

I'm a Wife and Mommy in New Hampshire and have always had a passion for food, baking, and entertaining. I'll post some of my recipes here along with pictures of some of the things I've done for parties and events.

I try to live healthy, but love food...not always a good combination. I try to make recipes for some of my favorite things healthier anywhere I can. Some recipes are just meant to be delicious, but I make most of my recipes with less fat if it doesn't compromise too much flavor.

Monday, October 5, 2015

Cake Pops!




Hey loves! 

It's been quite a while since I've had a chance to write a post here, but I'm asked all the time how to make cake pops.  I thought that would be a good tutorial to share.  I'll go through and add more pictures this week.  Enjoy! 
Basically, you bake a cake (box or homemade, they really don't taste different in a cake pop. I prefer to do everything homemade, but I don't judge). After you bake the cake, break it all up in a big bowl, and mix in frosting - start with probably a 3rd of a tub of frosting from the store for one full box of cake.
I use a tablespoon and fill that with the mixture, and roll them into balls.
After that, melt some of the Wilton candy melts in a bowl in the microwave and dip the end of the cake pop sticks in it, then stick it into the cake ball about half way through it.
I put them on a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat, but you could use parchment paper too so it doesn't stick.
Next, stick them in the freezer. This part is so important. If you try to dip them in the chocolate now, they'll just fall apart.
Once they're good and cold and solid, start melting a bowl of candy melts. A tip here- The Wilton Bright White ones are really thick. I got some white ones from Hobby Lobby that aren't bright white and mixed them with the Wilton ones. The Wilton ones look nice but were too thick.
Once you have your chocolate melted, start dipping the cake pops and spin them a little (gently) to get extra chocolate off and put them in a stand or back on your cookie sheet.
You have to move kind of quickly, then get them back in the fridge. If they get too warm while you're doing this, they could crack. There are always a few that crack, I just eat those smile emoticon
And that's it! You have cake pops! To add lines, melt different colored candy melts, put them in a decorator bag or a baggie and cut the corner off, and just drizzle it on them.
For sprinkles or other "stick on" decorations, you have to sprinkle it on immediately after dipping, while the chocolate is still wet.
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment